Thursday, January 7, 2010

Do Not Let Fear Be An Excuse!

Philippians 4:6

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Fear. Fear of traveling to Mexico after hearing all the news reports about the drug cartels. Fear of going on a missions trip by myself, without Jerry. Fear of the unknown. Fear of blogging and telling my story to people I’ve never met!

Fear almost kept me from experiencing the most amazing trip of my life. It’s easy to come up with reasons for why we can’t do something. It’s harder to say yes, I’ll go. I’ll be honest and tell you I’m still processing all that I experienced, but I know that I’ll never be the same. I don’t want to be the same again.

As soon as I stepped in the van on Saturday to leave for Chicago, I felt the “peace of God, which transcends all understanding” come over me. There were times when I should have felt fear, but amazingly I felt protected--that our entire team was protected.

If I would have said, “No, it’s not safe.” I would have missed the opportunity to help make a home for children who have no home. I would have missed witnessing God’s miracle of providing food for close to 500 families, when we only had enough food for 350. I would have missed the chance to get to know the incredible people who served with me on the trip.

Since returning, I’ve had the opportunity to share my story with family and friends. I’m already beginning to see fruit from those who’ve said, “I’d like to go on a missions trip and serve too.” Or, “I have so much, I wonder how I can help those around me.”

I won’t tell you I’m completely cured of fear, but I’m working toward not letting it control my decisions. If God is calling you to serve Him, but you’re too afraid to say “Yes Lord!” I hope you’ll take the chance and jump. You won’t regret it.

Blessings,

Kathy Shull

1 comment:

  1. Yay!!! I'm so glad that you went...and so encouraged that you shared this with us. My prayer was that you would each come back changed...never to be the same! :0)

    ReplyDelete